I found this recipe via Sophisticated Gourmet and I'm so happy I did. These chocolate cupcakes are hands down the best homemade cupcakes I have ever made. I highly recommend them!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream, room temperature
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup boiling water
Ingredients (for the frosting):
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 ¼ cups powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon golden syrup / light corn syrup
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line your cupcake tin with paper liners. Combine the granulated sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Now, it's time to make the frosting! In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and cocoa powder until smooth. Mix in the milk and powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Add another tablespoon or so of milk, if necessary. Mix in vanilla and corn syrup.