I have a confession to make. I've never made rice krispies treats. I've never really liked them very much because they usually aren't chocolatey and if I'm going to eat something sweet, it pretty much has to be chocolate. So when I found this recipe for rice krispies treats loaded with chocolate and coffee via Shutterbean, I knew I had to give them a try. Ohhhh man, these are delicious! I'll definitely be making them again.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
- 2 bags (10 oz. each) mini marshmallows
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal (I used the generic brand to save money, it really doesn't matter)
- 2 teaspoons ground coffee (not instant)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I crushed up a chocolate bar because I didn't have enough chips)
- cooking spray
Melt the butter over medium/low heat. Add half of the marshmallows (one bag) and melt. Remove from heat.
Stir in the rice krispies.
Add the chocolate, coffee, and salt. Stir together. Lastly, mix in the remaining bag of marshmallows.
Line a 9 inch square pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Spoon the mixture into the dish and press into an even layer. Let cool completely. Cut into squares to serve.
Be careful! They're hard to put down!