My mom's garden is in full swing right now so I've been eating a lot of tomatoes. This recipe is a personal favorite and it's perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
For the french toast...
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella (jack or cheddar would work too)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 slices thick country-style bread
- butter or olive oil to fry the toast
For the vinaigrette...
- 1/8 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- pinch of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
For the topping...
- 2-3 tomatoes (depending on the size)
- blue cheese (optional)
- basil leaves (optional)
- crumbled bacon (optional)
Combine the egg, cream, salt, mozzarella, and thyme. Soak the bread slices in the batter for about a minute. Warm some olive oil or butter in a skillet and transfer the bread. Use a fork to grab some extra cheese that has settled on the bottom of the bowl and add it to the bread in the skillet.
To make the vinaigrette, whisk the white wine vinegar, mustard, olive oil, sugar, salt, and pepper.
Remove your french toast when it's nice and brown. Toss the tomatoes (and any other optional toppings) in the vinaigrette and place them on top of the toast. Enjoy!